Across the UK thousands of Home-Start volunteers visit families at home each week, supporting parents in situations as diverse as isolation, bereavement, multiple births, illness, disability or who are just finding parenting a struggle. They provide non-judgemental practical and emotional support and help build the family’s confidence and ability to cope. Home-Start runs more services and has more volunteers supporting more families than any other family support charity in the UK.
All Home-Start schemes are supported by Home-Start UK, which provides training for staff, volunteers and trustees, information and guidance on governance, legal and human resources issues and help with fundraising and communications.
A quick guide to becoming a Home-Start home-visiting volunteer
- You must be a parent or have parenting experience.
- As a Home-Start volunteer you will support a family by visiting them at home for around two hours, once a week.
- You should be able to commit at least six months of your time to Home-Start.
- You should have a non-judgemental attitude and understand about the pressures of bringing up a family.
- You must understand that your support for families is completely confidential.
- You will have to attend our free Volunteer Preparation Course with other new volunteers before meeting your first family.
- Travel expenses are paid during training and while you support a family, and help with childcare costs may also be available.
- If you want to, you may be able to take up the option of your training being formally recognised through accreditation with CERTA the Open College Network.
- You will have to undergo a criminal record check (DBS) at enhanced level.
- You will be supported by your Home-Start Organiser during the time you are visiting families with supervision meetings every six weeks.
- On-going training is available throughout the year on specialist topics and updates, some delivered by specialist external faciliators.
- Sample training calendar for 2018
Click here to find the answers to frequently asked questions.
How can I find out more?
If you wish to find out more details, please contact us on 01305 265072 or email us.